Friday, December 24, 2021

RSC 2022 Plans

I have been looking forward to participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for many months. I know I could have just jumped in at any time, but last year I felt I already had too many projects and I wanted to have a plan, so I've actually been thinking for a while about what I wanted to do for RSC in 2022.

I've been keeping an eye out for scrappy projects that I thought I would like but they also needed to be able to have blocks that were basically one color group.

When this rainbow stained glass quilt came across Reddit, I knew I wanted to try and make one too! There is a tutorial on how she made the blocks on Youtube here. I'd like to make some blocks every month, but this one might take a couple years to finish. LOL

I'm also thinking about making the Arlington Square quilt pattern from Pat Speth's Nickel Quilts book. I believe I could make the 9-patch units in different colors each month and then when I have a sufficient number (96), assemble the larger blocks with the strips. I have a shoebox-size tub of pre-cut 5" squares that I cut a LONG time ago (probably 15-20 years) and it would be nice to finally use some of them.

Finally, one last option I'm thinking about trying is the Bloom quilt designed by Kim Brackett, from her Scrap Basket Beauties book. I think I'll just make however many blocks that I feel like making each month and then figure out how many I have at the end.

This seems like more than enough to plan for one year. I'm not sure if I'll get them all finished by December, but it will be nice to have a choice of what to work on.

Update: Added in late-January. Flowers for Nana Girl, from Scrap Basket Sensations by Kim Brackett. It's been in the queue for a couple of years and I think I can finish this one too.


18 comments:

  1. You have some great plans for the RSC in 2022. I especially love the stained glass rainbow quilt and will definitely look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it will be a fun challenge. I hope I can manage it.

      Delete
  2. You've got lots of great ideas for RSC quilts! I love the stained glass one. The Nickel Quilts book has some pretty designs for rainbow quilts, too - every time I look through it I want to make every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are so many quilts I want to make. Too bad there are not more hours in the day. LOL

      Delete
  3. Awesome choices for your RSC22 endeavors! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you decide one. Will it really be just ONE?? :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will probably depend on how quickly I can get the pieces made. If I can get enough done, then I'll probably work on more than one project throughout the year.

      Delete
  4. I love all three of your choices, but the idea of making "however many" blocks you feel like making each month and figuring out what to do with them later is fabulous! I'm toying with the idea of doing something like that myself. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm trying to be flexible the first time around. I'd like to get a feel for how much I can get done each month.

      Delete
  5. "however many" - that is how I look at my scrappy blocks too. And I've been know to add a new block mid-year as well. Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to make a couple blocks every month for RSC.

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the RSC! It looks as though you have a lot of great projects to get started on. The stained glass quilt is particularly intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm excited to give that one a try after I finish my heart quilt.

      Delete
  7. Welcome to the group! You have picked some great options for the RSC. It will be fun to watch them grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am excited to get started. I just need to finish building my RhodoTrail blocks and then I'll get to work.

      Delete
  8. Those are great RSC quilt options. Having a few choices is always nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm very much about flexibility in my plans this year. I'm happy about trying this new challenge.

      Delete
  9. Welcome to RSC, I'm sure you will have a great time working on your Rainbow blocks throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I will. I'm really looking forward to it.

      Delete